[lbo-talk] Strauss Kahn

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Aug 24 21:37:50 PDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 11:40 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2011, at 11:35 PM, // ravi wrote:
>
>> Not having to lie on an immigration application is a luxury of nativists and hi-tech workers like me. A lie on such a form should count for nothing.
>
> Except that she didn't lie on the asylum form, despite having said she did.

I think you are speaking specifically of her story that she lied about a gang rape in her asylum application (but in fact, as she later admitted, she made no such claim in her asylum application). I was speaking about the general news media stories that there were “inconsistencies in her asylum application”.

For example, MSNBC reports both (“inconsistencies in asylum application” and the gang rape story) here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44232191/ns/local_news-new_york_ny/t/motion-drop-dsk-charges-cites-maids-lies/

> There were also inconsistencies on the maid's application for asylum from Guinea, where she is from. The lies, which were made under penalty of perjury, could expose her to federal charges.
> In the asylum application, and to prosecutors, the maid claimed her family was persecuted and harassed by Guinea's dictatorial regime, and that police and government soldiers had destroyed her home and beaten her and her husband.

Way over quota, sorry.

—ravi