[lbo-talk] $39,000 handbag

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:36:24 PDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 8:20 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

carrol's talking about your method.

Carrol's engaging in belligerent histrionics. Which he's entitled to do at his age - we deserve it as much as the kids playing on his lawn, I guess - but I'm killfiling him, as I hope to someday be less of a grumpy old man, and his example isn't helping. :-)

> you've already said that you agree that some people are more oppressed

Which should be perfectly obvious, even to someone who hasn't just spent a week with people being bombed. Really, other than my last statement, I can't think of one more self-evident. As I once heard Ward Churchill, with whom I rarely agree, say, "The more oppressed people are the ones who are being massacred" (or words to that effect). Anyone who disagrees is, as the kids are saying, on crack.

> and it is with those groups we should engage in political struggle.

When did I say anything like that?

> I'm saying that your response is like a rorshach test: if you sympathize
> with that view of course you're going to mock your privileged western
> friends for being wusses.

I'd probably think most Westerners were privileged wusses regardless of my politics.

That's my quota for the day, I think. Fire at will.