[lbo-talk] $39,000 handbag

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 12:38:03 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "shag carpet bomb" <shag at cleandraws.com>

It creates a hiearchy of who is more oppressed because, underlying most western marxist and western marxish politics, there's the endless search for the subject of history - the "most oppressed" class which is supposed to truly understand how to struggle against capitalism and with whom we must align ourselves. ------------ I thought this was a creation of the seventies. Because before that, the agreed subject of history was the working class.

For some reason, in the seventies, people started saying that there was no more working class in the U.S., meaning that manufacturing was disappearing. Stephen Grenblatt, resident Marxist English Prof at U.C. Berkely, told me this point blank, while I stared back incomprehendingly.

I think someone posted a nice essay by Tamas on this topic a while ago.

Joanna