[lbo-talk] $39,000 handbag

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 10:55:54 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

Plus if the man actually finds the “who Marxist tradition pretty Christian”,
> he can’t be all that bad. He probably means that in a negative sense, but at
> least he is making the connection to morality. :-)

No, in a good way. You can probably gather something of his basic thrust here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2010/04/god-order-wisdom-paul-love

It doesn't get to the point as directly as the first couple pages of this (which, unfortunately, can't be previewed online):

http://www.amazon.com/Fragile-Absolute-Christian-Legacy-Fighting/dp/1859843263

And yes, he has quite a bit to say about amoral pretensions/cultural relativism. The older I get, the funnier I find that sort of thing. Different people may have varying moralities, but a person denying any morality, or that morality shapes her/his politics, strikes me as about as believable as a person denying any language, or that language shapes her/his perspective on life. Maybe it's true of that feral child shag posted about a little while ago, but that's about it.