[lbo-talk] popularizing philosophy

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 16:43:14 PDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> wrote:

> Generally, in class, I'd rather they grapple directly with Plato.
> Everything else seems to be cheating them of something. Seems like to
> me.

I should qualify this by saying that I *have* thought about using, in a supplemental way, Botton's episodes on Socrates in class. I am also thinking about using several episodes of the BBC radio show/podcast, "In Our Time." He's got a good episode on Daoism from last winter, and good shows on Socrates and the Delphic Oracle. In general the shows are pretty good, but they are often hard if you have no prior knowledge. They are not introductory lectures. Whereas that kind of IS what Botton is doing.