[lbo-talk] popularizing philosophy

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Aug 28 17:15:09 PDT 2011

At 07:39 PM 8/28/2011, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>I'll give them a snippet, but the
>hardest part will not be their understanding of Daoism but the fact
>that kids often don't know Winnie the Pooh any more.

lol. i just bought a porch with a hhouse. i mean a house with a porch. upon which ima gonna set a rocker so I can be an old man and gripe.

and ima gonna gripe about kids these days mmmkay? because i know i shouldn't but ima gonna anyway...

i went to one of those walk-in clinics last week, to get tested for strep and get some antibiotics. I'm standing there with five nurses and medical technologists standing around at various duties, all of them talking and gossiping. one of them mentioned that her kids wanted some kind of cooked meal.

"I says, 'you know mama don't cook. lawd."

laughter

"I know. one day, my daughter actually wanted milk with her cereal. I was all like, 'boy, you're getting fancy. milk with your cereal.'"

she looked at me and said, "You know, how they will usually just eat sugar puffs out of the box? She wanted me to put them in a bowl with milk on them."

She looked at me knowingly, like I was supposed to get the joke, as all the other women did.

I mean, I understood what they were saying but, no, I didn't practice the same thing which was that they were all saying that they never feed their kids anything other than hotdogs, cereal from the box, noodle soup, mac and cheese, lunch meet, crackers, cookies, pop tarts.

they do not eat a meal of, say, 4 oz of protein based food (e.g., meat or fish) and some veggies. they do not eat whole foods

Ack! I feel I must rock in my chair pretty furiously. They are nurses, people with (ostensibly) some exposure to nutrition! ACK!!!!!!!

yes, i know. i shouldn't be shocked. yes, i know that i had to learn a few years ago that most people in the u.s. eat prepackaged crap, etc. yes, i know that being a member of the medical profession does not mean you have klew one about nutrition.

still. I have to ACK!!!!!!

it's the end of civilization, ima tellin' ya. i'm scared for the chilren my people. i'm scared for them!

shag