[lbo-talk] WI labour organisers disinvite GOP from Labour Day parade

Joshua Morey amvojo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 16:15:29 PDT 2011

<<"Congressman Duffy was hoping that for a moment, we could set our differences aside and simply have some fun in a family-friendly event.”>>

I might remind my Congressman that he can "set ... differences aside" and attend the parade and simply have all the family-friendly fun he wants - he just can't be *in* the parade.

Furthermore, the event is not "shared" - it is organized by the Marathon County Labor Council member unions; if you're curious, Randy Radtke, President of the Marathon County Labor Council, wrote:

<<As many of you may have already heard the Marathon County Labor Council has decided not to allow the Republicans in the parade this year, here is the comment I put out:

The Wausau Labor Day Parade is a time to celebrate the working men and women of Wisconsin. It is not a political event or stop on the campaign trail. It is a time for working families to come together to celebrate their hard work and a time where we recognize the labor movement for all they have given us -- the weekend, the 40 hour work week, child labor protection, a safe work environment. It should come as no surprise that organizers choose not to invite elected officials who have openly attacked worker’s rights or stood idly by while their political party fought to strip public workers of their right to collectively bargain.”

Randy Radtke

President Marathon County Labor Council AFL-CIO>>

"Petty?" "Shortsighted?"

Thanks, Ravi, for posting the article.

Joshua