[lbo-talk] Americans: doped up for decades

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Aug 29 20:16:55 PDT 2011

a leetle update.

i'm completely fascinated to learn that schizophrenia turns out to be something from which people used to recover a lot more frequently than they do today. an ex's father was schizophrenic and anyone with whom i've ever discussed this with has indicated that it's this lifelong debilitating condition. i guess that's a recent understanding.

Whitake takes you through a series of long-term studies of schizophrenics that took place both before the development of thorazine as well as after. he then shows that psychiatrists found out that there was disturbing evidence to indicate schizophrenics were getting worse and having worse outcomes when treated with thorazine than when they weren't - when the study ranged 3 or more years. Indeed, the longer the follow up studies went, the more likely people who weren't medicated ended up being mainstreamed - getting jobs, getting married, having children, etc.

i'm sure people who pay more attention to this than I do already know about this situation with schizophrenia. I hadn't, at least not based on my ex-s family and their understanding of schizophrenia and what their father/husband could expect.

don't have the book in front of me to quote, but if you're interested, i'd highly recommend a reading.