[lbo-talk] Americans: doped up for decades

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 20:32:44 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "shag carpet bomb" <shag at cleandraws.com>

i'm completely fascinated to learn that schizophrenia turns out to be something from which people used to recover a lot more frequently than they do today. an ex's father was schizophrenic and anyone with whom i've ever discussed this with has indicated that it's this lifelong debilitating condition. i guess that's a recent understanding.

--- Not surprising. My mother was put on an antipsychotic when she was in her early forties. She's still on it now at 83, and will be on it till the day she dies.

I remember it was argued that drugs would be less expensive than therapy, but something tells me that forty years of paying for this drug was probably not cheaper than a couple of years of therapy. Plus of course, she was never able to function independently again. Ever.

Joanna