[lbo-talk] popularizing philosophy

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 07:24:26 PDT 2011

Don't get me started. It's doctors and nurses and teachers and professional parents and professors here in MI… the radical confusion and wtfiwwy (wtf is wrong with you) looks we get when we say no to the fourth (or tenth) offer of the day of candy or juice boxes or a trip to fast food for our kids leaves my wife and I apoplectic - we even keep score, rather than eat non-stop, at baseball games… romantic, retrograde, ridicuous, I know.

"C'mon! They're just Doritos! Candy makes kids happy, let 'em have some…"

Every single school event has to be sweetened or salted to death, and not even as fundraisers… as "treats."

This crap is layered really deeply in mid-MI all across income and status strata. It makes us long more and more for the faux green foodie wankerdom of the Bay Area, or even the technogreen effete cosmopolitanism of New England, cultures and places that drove us absolutely nuts in the past.