[lbo-talk] popularizing philosophy

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 10:55:47 PDT 2011

In 1987 I drove across country for the first time in my life (saw people who did not live in LA or Bay area) and was incredulous at the size of everyone. And this was 87, before obesity really started rising.

I can only think that this is because good food is not available in most of the country -- only what you pick up at supermarkets, which is food designed to be sold in supermarkets: more image than taste. I raised both my kids on real food & they're not much interested in junk food. And I suspect that's because once you've eaten real food for any amount of time, junk has not much appeal.

(I will confess however to addictively drinking 1/2 a diet Coke per day.)

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Rudy" <alan.rudy at gmail.com>

Don't get me started. It's doctors and nurses and teachers and professional parents and professors here in MI… the radical confusion and wtfiwwy (wtf is wrong with you) looks we get when we say no to the fourth (or tenth) offer of the day of candy or juice boxes or a trip to fast food for our kids leaves my wife and I apoplectic - we even keep score, rather than eat non-stop, at baseball games… romantic, retrograde, ridicuous, I know.

"C'mon! They're just Doritos! Candy makes kids happy, let 'em have some…"

Every single school event has to be sweetened or salted to death, and not even as fundraisers… as "treats."