[lbo-talk] Hemingway on Pound...

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Aug 30 08:14:40 PDT 2011

Very fun movie, especially for those who have read A Moveable Feast. I read it 40 years ago and still have the feeling of it, if that makes any sense. In my abortive literary youth I was all about Eliot, Joyce, Hemingway, Partisan Review.

I think the superficiality of the gags in the film is meant whimsically. The lead character is a buffoon matched by the silliness of his fantasies. The actor, Owen Wilson, is to me a lightweight but for that reason works in the part. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the idea of a yearning for some beautiful, bygone age to me is not fluff.