[lbo-talk] Another thing about Vivaldi....

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Aug 30 13:52:49 PDT 2011

On Tue, August 30, 2011 4:40 pm, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> He was the (very
> happy) musical director of a girl's orphanage in Venice. He composed music
> for them to play to support themselves.

Indeed. I've always thought that some of the stuff is meant to be humorous -- little girls blowing French horns and so on.

> There were layers and layers and layers of stuff in there I had
> no idea existed in Haydn's music.

No accounting for this stuff, is there? I always thought Haydn was wonderful, and there are many days when I find his stuff more congenial than all but the commanding heights of Mozart. But I still await the epiphany wrt Il Prete Rosso's concerti grossi. Ugh.