[lbo-talk] Another thing about Vivaldi....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 30 14:00:23 PDT 2011

It is sort of fascinating how these 'revolutions' in taste occur so often. In the 1950s, if anyone wanted to hear Vivaldi played live they would have had to go to Carnegie hall at 4am. Musicians from various NY orchestras got together then to play Vivaldi. And Wyndham Lewis snarled, 800 mmss. of Vivaldi unedited and they dare to talk of western civilization. I think it's fascinating because sit gives empirical evidence for the impossibility of establishing "objective" standards for judging art of any kind.

I can explain why I like this or that writer, but I would not claim that that explanation 'proved' anything. I'm completely untrained in music (having thought until I was in my mid-20s that I was tone deaf), and accordingly can't even explain why I like this or that musician. I like Vivaldi. I am mostly bored by Brahms or Beethoven. Why? I wouldn't venture a reason.

Carrol