[lbo-talk] Another thing about Vivaldi....

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 14:18:16 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

It is sort of fascinating how these 'revolutions' in taste occur so often. In the 1950s, if anyone wanted to hear Vivaldi played live they would have had to go to Carnegie hall at 4am.

---

A few reasons baroque came back.

1. It's underproduced (compared to romantic music) and appealed to the granola people.

2. It's calming, which is why it's routinely played during rush hour on the classical stations.

3. It expanded the instrument market to include original instruments (also big with granola people).

Joanna

P.S. I'm not being contemptuous of granola people. I'm probably one myself. Just couldn't think of a better abbreviation.