[lbo-talk] [worthwhile] resources on Gorbachev and the breakup of the USSR

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Aug 31 11:27:05 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Glastonbury" <jglastonbury at gmail.com>

Point being, I would like to gather some suggestions for books, articles, etc., that deal with the 1985-1991 period; I spoke with my professor about it, she gave me a few suggestions, but nothing that was specifically from a Marxist perspective. Additionally, any personal anecdotes, recollections, or observations, of the usual lbo/marxmail caliber, would be greatly appreciated.

Boris Kagarlitsky wrote a series of books about that period:

--New Realism New Barbarism

--The Twilight of Globalization

--The Return of Radicalism

I thought they were clearly written & I greatly enjoyed them. I thought he was being rather optimistic, but on the other hand, that's a nice change from most leftist writing.

Joanna