[lbo-talk] More Occupation life

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:44:12 PST 2011

Any significant Constitutional limitation on the ability of corporations to put money in elections would be a huge victory in the class struggle for the 99%. The campaign for this would set up a big class battle _in the political arena_ not the economic "arena" as in an economic strike. It would put tens of thousands in political motion. It could activate many in the 99% who are politically inert, now. Activity in the campaign would then further develop their political class consciousness - practical critical activity. We might expect state constitutional amendment campaigns to spring up setting up more class battles in the political arena. For the Democratic Party haters, this would be political activity that is not directly supporting Democrats. In fact , the Democrats will be "co-opted" to this campaign; the Occupation would co-opt Democrats instead of being co-opted by Democrats. Dems have already been co-opted by this by introducing it.

Charles

http://www.theoccupiedamendment.org/

Why We Must Work Together To Pass The OCCUPIED Amendment

“Although they make enormous contributions to our society, corporations are not actually members of it. They cannot vote or run for office … the financial resources, legal structure, and instrumental orientation of corporations raise legitimate concerns about their role in the electoral process. Our lawmakers have a compelling constitutional basis, if not also a democratic duty, to take measures designed to guard against the potentially deleterious effects of corporate spending in local and national races.”

— Justice John Paul Stevens in his powerful dissent to Citizens United Corporations are not people and they do not belong in our elections.

In recent months, Americans across the nation have demonstrated, protested, and occupied cities across the nation. But for far longer, corporations have occupied Washington and our state capitals. We can achieve lasting change by working together to pass the OCCUPIED Amendment. It is time to give our government back to the people.

The OCCUPIED Amendment will end corporate influence in our elections by:

Overturning Citizens United and outright banning the ability of corporations to use their profits to influence our elections.

Making clear that corporations, as well as entities formed to represent corporations — are not real, living people with rights protected by our Constitution. They are entities established under our laws and thus subject to our laws.

Reasserting the authority of Congress and the States to crack down on anonymous third party groups flooding our elections with malicious attack ads and to limit campaign contributions and expenditures by individuals, candidates, and all types of private entities.

Read More about H. J. Res 90