[lbo-talk] sachs and poland

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 2 19:14:24 PST 2011

The ally (or rather allies) we need now are not experts counseling Congress & the President to be more decent. Such counsel never has any particular effect anyhow, any more than a half dozen "progressive" congressmen.

Our allies are not counseling anyone; they are saying WE might to this to increase the number of militants at our demos and militants at our meetings engaging in the collective thinking we have to do. I suppose this fellow could become an ally by joining Freedom Road or even RCP and making public speeches about how vicious everything every establishment economist has said for half a century and that we need to kick the government out, not the people who are in government. Public figures who make that kind of a splash may help, but on the whole I think we can ignore them.

#OWS is telling leftists something too. At least for the period immediately ahead we are not begging the powers that be for anything; we are mobilizing and expanding our own ranks.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of MICHAEL YATES Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 7:19 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] sachs and poland

Gar, I'll tell you what.Next time there is a big strike, why don't you write to Sachs and ask him to donate money to the strikers. And join their picket line. Then get back to us. And if you talk to him, demand that he apologize to all he hurt. Former addicts on the 12-step program do that, why not Sachs? Get back to us on that too.

Sachs will support whatever he wants to support no matter what I say or whether I like him or not. If he supports good things, good.But let's not be overly respectful, grateful even, of someone who has been an asshole and whose advice helped cause people to die just because his views now overlap some with our own (I should speak for myself here; his views may overlap a great deal with yours). And I don't see any need to solicit his support. He'll give it or he won't. And my guess is that in the end, it won't matter much either way. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk