[lbo-talk] Lionizing Wealthy Americans, Rather Than Taxing

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:15:19 PST 2011

Carrol Cox

Chris's points seem crucial. Leftists waste a lot of time trying to prove that capitalists are "bad" people, thus making opposition to capitalism a matter of individualist self-expression rather than a political activity.

^^^^ CB: Carrol makes a logical error here. Chris said determining how much people deserve for their work is an ethical question. I did not. I asked for an _economic_ answer. Note that in Marx's political economic labor theory of value , he gives a scientific, not ethical, answer to the question of whether capitalists earn the wealth he has. Capitalists exploit their wealth.

Or we might call it a legal and political question. If private property , the law is changed, then capitalists will not be earning what they are paid. We, the 99%, can change the law of private property.

^^^^^^^

And no one yet has said a word about Carl's Sunday post about OWS & Identity politics. It's more fun to roll around in moral superiority to faculty or rich capitalists than to do the political thinking that might contribute to wiping capitalism out. I don't think it too much of an exaggeration to say "Capitalists are not the enemy; capitalism is."

Carrol

^^^^^ CB: you are rolling around shooting down straw people instead of acting as an advocate on behalf of the 99%, the working class in its struggle with the 1%. What non-sense. The _class_ of _capitalists are the enemy. Capitalism is not a person anymore than corporations are, so it can't be an enemy. There is an enemy class of people. The X-propriators (people), not the x-propriating system, are xxpropriated.