[lbo-talk] Robert Reich on the Obama we have been waiting for

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Dec 7 12:45:48 PST 2011

Nicholas Roberts writes:

> I dont see how this is any different to any of the Obama's ?

Well, that's not what you said; you slapped Reich for being encouraged about it. I'm happy to predict that if there's no followthrough that Reich will write about that, too. I don't think that makes him a stooge.

> the camp now is a joke, a sad and weird hippy joke

It's only a joke if you listen to the detractors. The occupations were never meant to be long-lasting; even Kalle Lasn has said recently that this phase has probably run its course.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/06/143224364/adbusters-co-founder-discusses-ows

<snip> SIEGEL: As the Occupy movement's urban encampments are rolled up by police, what do you think this protest movement should do now?

LASN: Well, you know, it's - obviously it's winding down now. I think that we should hibernate for the winter. We should brainstorm with each other. We should network with each other and then come out swinging next spring.

SIEGEL: Swinging, as in Occupy cities and take to the parks again?

LASN: No, I don't think that - no, I think that this occupying the parks phase of the movement is probably over by now. But I think there will be other kinds of perhaps more surprise kind of occupations, where next spring we come out and we occupy a bank for a day or a corporate headquarters for an afternoon. Or we go into an economics department at some university and we take over that department for a day or two.

And I think there will be other things as well, like the people start moving their money away from big banks into their credit unions. And I predict a myriad projects next spring. </snip>