[lbo-talk] Speaking of University Bashing...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 00:44:43 PST 2011

I myself decided to be an English major because it seemed to offer the greatest latitude for what you would be allowed to study. My dissertation used John Donne as an excuse to mostly talk about philosophy of language and history of mathematics.

I had initially wanted to do intellectual history (history of ideas) type stuff using a Marxist approach. But I couldn't find a department that would stomach that, so I went with English, where you can slip through the cracks.

So yeah, that's one really great thing about English depts.

Joanna