[lbo-talk] Speaking of University Bashing...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 10 10:11:59 PST 2011

Story of some tourists at Cambrdige. They were being shown the grounds, and a woman asked the guide, how do you get such lawn. He replied: you water and you cut it and you roll it -- for 600 years.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Michael Smith Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:45 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Speaking of University Bashing...

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 08:09:18 -0800 Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Speaking of buildings, I'm thinking when gauging the importance of
> the university as an institution, maybe it comes down to the library?

I always thought the quad was underestimated, both functionally (as a place to run into people; the academic equivalent of the piazza) and historically (a reminiscence of the monastic cloister). Not to mention aesthetically. I happened to spend some time in Oxford last summer (nothing academic, I hasten to add). They do the quad thing very nicely there.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com