[lbo-talk] John Halle on OWS NYC

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 11 11:42:02 PST 2011

Just a side note on the swaggering. Try walking with stuff hanging on your hip -- it produces an automatic swagger. This is not to gainsay that in this case they would have been swaggering anyhow.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Grimes Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 12:44 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] John Halle on OWS NYC

Like a lot of people who have trouble sleeping I'm constantly monitoring the

internet for news about Occupy Wall Street. So when I woke early to find out that Bloomberg had made his vile and thuggish move on the OWS encampment

at Zuccotti Park, I was able to get on the 5:50 train putting me there at around 7:45.

It is no exaggeration to describe the scene which greeted me as apocalyptic.

Police in riot gear lined both sides of Broadway from Fulton Street where I got off the subway to the park several blocks south. Some cooled their heels, fondling their batons, clearly pleased with the work they had accomplished in the preceding, engaging other fellow cops with frat boy banter. Others paced idly displaying the swaggering insolence which most white people, typically the ultimate beneficiaries of it choose to ignore, but which is surely familiar and plenty menacing to those who are its usual victims,

http://www.counterpunch.org/2011/12/09/standing-with-occupy-wall-street-nov- 15-17/

It's a good narrative of wondering around to various scenes.