[lbo-talk] Bailout Total: $29.616 Trillion Dollars: Government Accounting Office says $16 trillion

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 15:36:16 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Marv Gandall <marvgand at gmail.com> wrote:

> The number is found in Table 8, page 131 of the report. It shows loans from the various Fed emergency facilities to the major US and foreign banks totalling $16,115,000,000,000 between December, 2007 and July 2010. However, as I suggested yesterday, this is an AGGREGATE total in which the same million dollar overnight loan rolled over for a week would count as separate loans totalling seven million dollars. As the GAO note accompanying the table explains: "The total dollar amounts borrowed represent the sum of all loans and have not been adjusted to reflect differences in terms to maturity for the loans."

Nomi Prins has the latest numbers here:

http://www.nomiprins.com/storage/bailouttallyoct2011CLEAN%20NO%20FORMULAS.pdf

$9.2 trillion total bailout, but much of that was guarantees, not expenditure. Another $6.8 trillion in Fanni/Freddie loans (total loan exposure, not total losses). So $16 trillion in theoretical wealth, same as above, but probably only $3-4 trillion in actual expenditure. (This excludes the EU bailouts, of course).

-- DRR