[lbo-talk] Bailout Total: $29.616 Trillion Dollars: Government Accounting Office says $16 trillion

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Dec 12 15:51:31 PST 2011

> Nomi Prins has the latest numbers here:
>
> http://www.nomiprins.com/storage/bailouttallyoct2011CLEAN%20NO%20FORMULAS.pdf
>
> $9.2 trillion total bailout, but much of that was guarantees, not
> expenditure.

I don't get it. It's supposed to be okay to say "Here's how much it cost" in the headline and then below, in the discussion, cop to the fact that this is not, um, what it cost?

I'm with Doug on this one: who gains from inflating these (already large) numbers?

As an example, in Nomi's graphic under "Who got it?" there's a $2.8T number assigned to "GSEs" ... given that the GSEs are now in conservatorship, what does it exactly mean to bail yourself out?

Bleah,

/jordan