[lbo-talk] Occupy the hood: A black perspective on occupy wallstreet

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 11:41:14 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Well, yeah, but what's the point of this exactly? I'm guessing that most OWS participants are more aware of what cops are like than the average Joe. That aside, whites shouldn't complain because things could be worse, i.e., they could be black? Some sort of one-upmanship? Please enlighten.

My thought -- not necessarily the tweeter's -- was that blacks might be more leery about intentionally being cop bait, having more experience with the meat grinder.

I'm not sure what to think sometimes when I read the outrage expressed at the treatment of arrestees. Baloney sandwiches! Given to vegetarians! I am glad there's a learning experience and an expectation of better. But I wonder how aware a lot of them are. Or is it just the journalists that are shocked?

-- Andy