[lbo-talk] Readable Conservatives

Jordan Carroll jordanscarroll at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:07:20 PST 2011

Hello,

It's winter break time, so I'm planning my introductory composition class for next quarter. For the midterm, I'm going to ask them to respond to one of two opinion articles. I'm thinking about maybe using Doug's essay on small businesses as one of them. For the other essay, I'd like to get an essay or op ed piece from someone on the other side of the ideological spectrum -- moderate or conservative -- who is readable, surprising, nuanced and taking a position that won't provoke knee jerk reactions from students. Any topic would work for the assignment, as long as the piece doesn't presuppose too much prior knowledge. It would also have to be something that isn't too dated and runs at under ten pages. Any ideas?

-- Best,

Jordan