[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:50:57 PST 2011

Somebody: "My own opinion is that a much more technologically advanced civilization (capitalist or otherwise) in the late 21st and 22nd centuries will have to devote significant resources into coping with climate change,"

[WS:} I think the above ignores grossly unequal distribution of wealth on the planet, which usually guides the allocation of technology and other resources. resources would be devoted only if, and it is also a big if, the rich nations were to face the main impact of the climate change. But this does not seem to be the case. AFIK, the main impact will be faced by people who live on $2 a day. So unless we somehow get rid of neoliberalism, the chances are not much will be done about climate change.

Another issue is that the reduction of pollution can only be achieved by changing economic behavior rather than by technology. That is by serious reductions of private and wasteful consumption and even more serious increase of public provision of goods and services. This goes beyond neoliberalism - as almost everyone on the planet wants his/her standards of living to get better which they equate with increases in private consumption. More automobiles, more suburban homes, more air travel. and more stuff. Now, it is easy, and probably morally justified, to sermonize suburban fatheads in the Etats-Unis for consuming more than they need, but it a very different story for those who live on $2 a day, or even $10 a day.

So the bottom line is that they key to this problem is not technology but changing the economic model and changing individual behavior.

Wojtek