[lbo-talk] Occupy the hood: A black perspective on occupy wallstreet

Steve Bruns sdbruns at telus.net
Wed Dec 14 15:19:09 PST 2011

On 14-Dec-11, at 12:38 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2011, at 3:05 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> All I was trying to point out is that black people have every
>> reason to fear the police and the courts, and that OWS may appear
>> to them like a volunteer effort to get involved with cops, courts,
>> and jails.
>
> Good thing the civil rights movement didn't think that way.

One view:

by Solomon Comissiong When those who claim to represent “the 99%” reject as “divisive” the grievances of the Black, red and brown minority, they are claiming a false mandate. “Until more so-called white liberals, progressives and activists take Black issues seriously enough to give them more than lip service; many black people will continue to see themselves as marginalized, even within the broader Occupy Movement.” There can be no just society in “an apartheid state.”

full at: http://blackagendareport.com/content/police-brutality-black-america-and-us-occupy-movement