[lbo-talk] Occupy the hood revisit

petrdann at gmail.com petrdann at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:56:09 PST 2011

My slant was merely that resentment runs deep and that looking at things from the bottom up offers a somewhat different view. Consider the public worker saga in wisconsiana. These people sought all this "we are your neighbors" sentimental support and "this is OUR civil rights movement/moment" talk abounded. Yet from the bottom up these are the same people who staff the punitive/vindictive social services systems (education,health,corrections,welfare,childcare, law enforcement) which decimate or at least oppress the black community daily. Until there is more than opportunistic solidarity coming from these folks and by extension ows-ers, one has a hard time seeing why we need all get with the occupy program on its current terms. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a true anti-capital orientation, I'm just not sure this manifestation of ows is heading there over the long sweep. Paraphrasing gary younge, race (and gender) might not be the best place to finish, but it's not a bad place to begin when considering present reality and what is. Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T