[lbo-talk] Christopher Hitchens dead

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Dec 16 07:52:24 PST 2011

<> On Dec 16, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Carl G. Estabrook wrote: <>> I think that's right. He'll be remembered as part of the pantomime <>> horse that Terry Eagleton called "Ditchkins" ... <>> <> <> <> And also as the author of the term “Islamofascism”. Since Hitchens did <> not share his prime toddy with me (unlike other listmembers), I <> harbour no warmth towards the toad. His only redeeming value to me was <> the [at times suitably ad hominem] slap down he delivered to Dinesh <> D’Souza in one of those otherwise intolerable debates about God and <> Religion and what not that abound on YouTube. <> <> —ravi

yeah. zero interest in the guy. too many people are great writers to have to put up with his political horseshit, especially the pride he took in being a drunk and in hurling ad hominem as a substitute for real argument. my sense was that he had no political principles at all, merely liked to be contrarian for the sake of it.matt taibi's trashing of him in Shoveling Coal for Satan will be my antidote for having to listen to the mourning. for christ sake, it's flashing at me in the gmail app.

toad is my favorite epithet of the day. thank you!