[lbo-talk] Black and white unite and fight in Detroit Occupation

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 11:42:49 PST 2011

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/occupy-detroit_n_1119413.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#s506103

Occupy Detroit Confronts Racial Tension, Struggles To Define Movement's Future

This article is fairly accurate. I think the headline overstates the "racial tensions" . I think there was a lot more racial harmony and comradeship than tension. It was more economic tension, in that there was theft by homeless who are desperately poor. The bond between most of the homeless in the park and the occupiers was pretty tight by the end. For one thing , the occupation was serving three meals a day to whomever wanted it. And there was a permanent medical tent serving homeless mainly. With a shift of the Occupation's focus to occupying foreclosed homes, some of the homeless are occupying and reabilitating

the abandoned foreclosed homes. cOtherwise, there are many non-homeless , Black political activists in Detroit, and there is a very strong comradely bond with the new activists in the Occupation.

Charles Btown