[lbo-talk] Worker-Owners of America, Unite!

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Fri Dec 16 12:21:39 PST 2011

Yes, Gar--we've corresponded on this--I was getting confused for a while a couple of months ago when I was getting emails from two different Gars.

ESOPs have certainly received plenty of justified criticism of which Gar Alperovitz is fully aware. He really is not naive, trust me. Or see for yourself and check out the video I mentioned. www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3l4PtC7iTA. I think you would find it compelling. There's a whole ecological side to it, too, that would be up your alley. Here's a link to his appearance on Democracy Now yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO-n_cdrwYQ. But again the sound-bite versions don't do his ideas justice.

Woj: I don't know about co-op housing; it's not the focus of Alpeovitz's work. Co-op groceries are pretty popular, and I know "co-housing" is on the upswing. (I visited one development a couple of years ago and found it a little creepy, but I think that's because it was so suburban.)

Gar Lipow:

-- -- Chris Sturr Co-editor, Dollars & Sense 29 Winter St. Boston, Mass. 02108 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org