[lbo-talk] occupy the hood

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 16 13:15:24 PST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 4:03 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> Those things rearrange who is poor; they don't eliminate poverty,
> which will always exist under capitalism. I thought only liberals
> believed otherwise?

They sure can reduce it. The U.S. poverty rate is 3-4 times Sweden's. This would be a better place if we had fewer poor people.

>> How do you fight a war on "structural racism"?
>
> Abolition of prisons would be a good start....

Funny, Angela Davis' elaboration of that agenda sounded pretty indistinguishable from the social democratic program I just alluded to. Does that make her a liberal too?

Doug