[lbo-talk] move your money campaign

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 20 12:17:18 PST 2011

On Dec 20, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Dennis Redmond wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
>
>> Besides, I didn't see anyone saying "put it in a credit union, keep it
>> local!" ... I saw it more as "put it in a credit union, don't reward the
>> bastards who almost completely fucked us" ...
>
> "Move the money" is a perfectly fine short-term goal, and will
> hopefully get people thinking about the role of finance in their
> lives.

I think the cooperative bank should be an institution to finance a cooperative productive sector. Given the way one banks, it's a lot easier to think about where you place the money than it is to think about where it goes. But if you don't change what's on the other end of the deposit, you're just reconfiguring slightly what already exists.