[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 21 07:31:33 PST 2011

On Dec 21, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> It's pretty good, but it's not great. It's not even in the top 10. People drive in NYC because it's (still) more convenient than transit. People who have near-door-to-door transit opportunities don't drive much; everyone else? Even in Manhattan, the whole east side is a wasteland of transit. Look at Queens: it might as well be Kansas City out there.
>
> You whistled this tune when you lived in Manhattan and worked downtown; now that you live in Brooklyn, you have a car.

I really don't know what you're getting at. I said pretty good. But it's ridiculous to drive into Manhattan most times of the week, which is what congestion pricing was meant to address. I sure don't do that - the traffic and parking are insane. There are a lot of people who could take the train and/or subway but prefer to drive their Explorers into town because they don't want to rub shoulders with the smelly masses.

Doug