[lbo-talk] The Planet is Fine

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Dec 21 08:00:24 PST 2011

On Dec 21, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I really don't know what you're getting at. I said pretty good. But it's ridiculous to drive into Manhattan most times of the week, which is what congestion pricing was meant to address. I sure don't do that - the traffic and parking are insane. There are a lot of people who could take the train and/or subway but prefer to drive their Explorers into town because they don't want to rub shoulders with the smelly masses.

I drive in many times because public transport — which I would much rather take — is prohibitively expensive. NJTransit to midtown used to be $15/round-trip even recently. Now it costs $30. For two people that’s $60. And that’s not counting the cost of the subway within Manhattan. A car, with tolls, gas, and “road-wear” is around $15. And I have no problem (with enough patience) finding free street parking in Manhattan.

As you say, public transportation needs to be a lot cheaper.

—ravi