[lbo-talk] Religion: was Re: Christopher Hitchens

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 21 14:52:20 PST 2011

Wojtek has the purpose and actual use of phatic language all wrong. It is language intended primarily to recognize the humanity of the person addressed. If you say hellow to someone at the elevator, & they reply, lousy weather today, isn't it, neither is conveying information other than the recognition of each other. Wojtek's focus on sneering at everyone probably does exhibit the use of phatic language when the user is him. I would suggest tht language might in fact have originated in phatic conversation, which over time would become communicative.

I would argue that it is in fact the most important use of language. Without a great deal of phatic language direct relations would atrophjy and you'd have no one to communicate with. That is, it is phatic language which enables communicative uses.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Eubulides Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:46 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Religion: was Re: Christopher Hitchens