[lbo-talk] Eliot Spitzer: Our RRallying Cry Should Be, "We Own Wall Street and We Can Stop Corporate America's Worst Behavior.

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 11:52:16 PST 2011

http://www.alternet.org/story/153535/eliot_spitzer:_our_rallying_cry_shou

Eliot Spitzer: Our Rallying Cry Should Be, "We Own Wall Street and We Can Stop Corporate America's Worst Behavior." If the public exercised its ownership capacity by influencing board member selection, compensation, and political donations, then these companies would be fundamentally altered.

More laws and different regulations might have mitigated the disaster, but the best remedy, and the step we have to focus on, is giving citizens more decision-making within the private sector. “We Own Wall Street” should be the rallying cry of the former Occupy Wall Street, come January.

We Own Wall Street is the truth. The actual ownership of major banks, manufacturers, and retail giants resides in vast repositories of capital that are owned and controlled by the public: mutual funds, public pension funds, and endowments at public institutions. If the public exercised its huge ownership capacity by influencing board member selection, compensation, and political donations, then these companies would be fundamentally altered.