[lbo-talk] Eliot Spitzer: Our RRallying Cry Should Be, "We Own Wall Street and We Can Stop Corporate America's Worst Behavior.

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 12:39:58 PST 2011

On Dec 22, 2011, at 9:52 PM, c b wrote:

> Eliot Spitzer: Our Rallying Cry Should Be, "We Own Wall Street and We
> Can Stop Corporate America's Worst Behavior."
> If the public exercised its ownership capacity by influencing board
> member selection, compensation, and political donations, then these
> companies would be fundamentally altered.

As I understand it, public authority over corporations under U.S. law has nothing to do with ownership, but with chartering - so the demand (from his perspective, assuming he's speaking in good faith) should be for more meaningful oversight of the chartering process, if only as a way to get people to reflect on the trajectories and mechanisms of accountability to the foundational public of any legitimate res publica.