[lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy the Hood

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 23 16:17:46 PST 2011

On "worked up" cops: an anecdote. The angriest man I have encountered in my 81 years was an off-duty copy serving as a night guard at a local hospital. A slight effort at unionization was being made. The hospital's parking lot for workers was across the street from the back entrance. So we could stand very legally on the sidewalk and pass out leaflets to workers when shifts changed. This was the 11pm shift change.

This cop (as it happened a fucking big one) came up to the edge of the sidewalk screaming at me; he stuck out his jaw with a "Come on. Hit me." He wanted so badly to beat me up. Really sad.

Of course cops, like any collection of humans, include a mixture of personality types, but I think this cop was not untypical of a large number of them on every police force, from major cities down to small towns.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Grimes Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 5:30 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy the Hood

----- Original Message ----- From: "Duncan Clark" <lbo.dmclark at gmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 7:18 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy the Hood

> "On the Phenomenology of Giant Puppets"
>
> http://libcom.org/files/puppets.pdf

Thanks. His analysis of the cops v. puppets was fascinating. There is an element of thorough disrespect of Law which really gets them worked up, i.e.

a scofflaw.

CG