[lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy the Hood

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 19:39:18 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 5:23 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> The other things that's interesting, contrary some popular accounts, is that
> some of the things people have derided as "silly"  (puppets, webs, etc.) are
> actually actions which people spend a lot of time thinking about and
> planning, wanting to make sure that the action illustrates their
> position/argument.
>
> shag

Yeah never understood the hatred of puppets. Puppets are fun. Why does making them giant puppets make them not fun? Some of the balloon floats in the Macy Parade are essentially giant puppets. Maybe when we use puppets in demonstrations and marches we should call them "floats"?

Then again, I never understood the mime hatred in the 60s either. What was that all about? (Not kidding. I genuinely never heard a convincing explanation.)