[lbo-talk] Does it make a difference?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:28:01 PST 2011

[WS:] But this would apply to many states north of the Mason-Dixon line, no? Disfranchisement of the Black voters, who overwhelmingly vote Democratic, is one of the key strategies (in addition to gerrymandering) of swinging the elections in the GOP favor. Bear in mind that we have a rather evenly split electorate, and elections are decided by the "swing votes" that account for what, 3-5% of the electorate. Therefore, having those votes swing the "right" way by hook or crook is a rational electoral strategy and is only tangentially (or perhaps opportunistically) related to the racist history of the South. GOP strategists are very skilled at exploiting any possible divisive factor, race, culture, religion, urban/suburban divide, homosexuality, immigration etc. to swing enough votes (an does not take that many) in their favor.

Wojtek