[lbo-talk] Does it make a difference?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Dec 24 15:36:07 PST 2011

Wojtek asks:

>> The fact that they wanted to pass this law means they
>> still need the oversight.
>
> But this would apply to many states north of the
> Mason-Dixon line, no?

Of course! I hope that those who are fighting this kind of thing in, say, Ohio or Wisconsin would say: if they won't let them do it in South Carolina, there's no way in hell we should be doing it here.

I mean, it was pretty clear:

- They didn't show that there's any kind of fraud going on

- They didn't show that this law would prevent any imagined fraud

- The net effect would be to disenfranchise an additional 20% of the black population

Good for DOJ for seeing through the smoke screen; I hope other states see it this clearly.

/jordan