[lbo-talk] more 'cool it'

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 00:44:28 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 11:49 PM, martin schiller <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:
> Browsing Netflix this evening, and was presented a recommendation for a Bjorn Lomborg documentary defense of his position in "Cool It' and representation of his program. Seemed like solid argument in a very decent presentation.
> Seems like I recall some strong feeling when I asked about the book here a couple of years back. Just wondered if there had been any reconsideration since then, or there were any critiques of the documentary.

Still bullshit. I'll let others go into more detail. But really quickly - to get the results he gets requires understating consequences of global warming, overstating costs of doing something about global warming, and ignoring co-benefits, cause about 99% of what needs to be done about global warming needs to be done for other reasons in any case. Not going to let Lomborg waste much of time, Salon had a review of the book at the time it came out was pretty devastating http://www.salon.com/2007/08/29/cool_it/ . And honestly they could have double the length of the review without running out of valid criticism.

Whats more, the science since then shows the situation to be much worse that we thought at the time. We are seeing feedbacks today that were not officially expected at the time - though you can find many climate scientists who thought even then that the slow consensus process of the IPCC was drastically underestimating the danger. And apparently they were right.