[lbo-talk] Flat screen tvs?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 17:06:01 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 18:03, Max Sawicky <sawicky at verizon.net> wrote:
> IMO the latest greatest LCD LED things are not worth the extra money.

I disagree strongly with the above piece of advice.

LED LCDs consume less power, generate less heat, and last significanly longer than the traditional cold cathode lamp ilumination.

On PC-bound LCD screens, when I replaced my desktop LCD monitors with LED backlight LCD monitors of the same size (btw: despite being called "LED", both are LCDs, the difference is the retro-ilumination element used), I found that the energy consumption was like 13-watt vs 35-watt.

I´d suggest one Samsung "Smart TVs" the ones with an Ethernet port in the back, so you can connect your big screen to the Internet and browse Youtube and your previously bookmarked favorite videos from the comfort of your couch.

Of course, you can do the same by hooking an external media player box from the likes of WD, but I´m assuming the OP wants the least possible amount of mess, cables and configuration.

But hey, that´s just me. FC