[lbo-talk] A liberal geek defense of Ron Paul

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Dec 29 17:35:11 PST 2011

[Not as a presidential candidate, but rather his value as congressional ally]

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/12/matt-stoller-why-ron-paul-challenges-liberals.html

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Matt Stoller: Why Ron Paul Challenges Liberals

By Matt Stoller, the former Senior Policy Advisor to Rep. Alan Grayson

and a fellow at the Roosevelt Institute. You can reach him at stoller

(at) gmail.com or follow him on Twitter at @matthewstoller.

The most perplexing character in Congress, ideologically speaking, is

Ron Paul. This is a guy who exists in the Republican Party as a staunch

opponent of American empire and big finance. His ideas on the Federal

Reserve have taken some hold recently, and he has taken powerful runs

at the Presidency on the obscure topic of monetary policy. He doesn't

play by standard political rules, so while old newsletters bearing his

name showcase obvious white supremacy, he is also the only prominent

politician, let alone Presidential candidate, saying that the drug war

has racist origins. You cannot honestly look at this figure without

acknowledging both elements, as well as his opposition to war, the

Federal government, and the Federal Reserve. And as I've drilled into

Paul's ideas, his ideas forced me to acknowledge some deep

contradictions in American liberalism (pointed out years ago by

Christopher Laesch) and what is a long-standing, disturbing, and

unacknowledged affinity liberals have with centralized war financing.

So while I have my views of Ron Paul, I believe that the anger he

inspires comes not from his positions, but from the tensions that

modern American liberals bear within their own worldview.

My perspective of Paul comes from working with his staff in 2009-2010

on issues of war and the Federal Reserve. Paul was one of my then-boss

Alan Grayson's key allies in Congress on these issues, though on most

issues of course he and Paul were diametrically opposed. How Paul

operated his office was different than most Republicans, and Democrats.

An old Congressional hand once told me, and then drilled into my head,

that every Congressional office is motivated by three overlapping

forces - policy, politics, and procedure. And this is true as far as it

goes. An obscure redistricting of two Democrats into one district that

will take place in three years could be the motivating horse-trade in a

decision about whether an important amendment makes it to the floor, or

a possible opening of a highly coveted committee slot on Appropriations

due to a retirement might cause a policy breach among leadership.

Depending on committee rules, a Sub-Committee chairman might have to

get permission from a ranking member or Committee Chairman to issue a

subpoena, sometimes he might not, and sometimes he doesn't even have to

tell his political opposition about it. Congress is endlessly complex,

because complexity can be a useful tool in wielding power without

scrutiny. And every office has a different informal matrix, so you have

to approach each of them differently.

Paul's office was dedicated, first and foremost, to his political

principles, and his work with his grassroots base reflects that.

Politics and procedure simply didn't matter to him. My main contact in

Paul's office even had his voicemail set up with special instructions

for those calling about HR 1207, which was the number of the House bill

to audit the Federal Reserve. But it wasn't just the Fed audit - any

competent liberal Democratic staffer in Congress can tell you that Paul

will work with anyone who seeks his ends of rolling back American

Empire and its reach into foreign countries, auditing the Federal

Reserve, and stopping the drug war.

Paul is deeply conservative, of course, and there are reasons he

believes in those end goals that have nothing to do with creating a

more socially just and equitable society. But then, when considering

questions about Ron Paul, you have to ask yourself whether you prefer a

libertarian who will tell you upfront about his opposition to civil

rights statutes, or authoritarian Democratic leaders who will expand

healthcare to children and then aggressively enforce a racist war on

drugs and shield multi-trillion dollar transactions from public

scrutiny. I can see merits in both approaches, and of course, neither

is ideal. Perhaps it's worthy to argue that lives saved by presumed

expanded health care coverage in 2013 are worth the lives lost in the

drug war. It is potentially a tough calculation (depending on whether

you think coverage will in fact expand in 2013). When I worked with

Paul's staff, they pursued our joint end goals with vigor and

principle, and because of their work, we got to force central banking

practices into a more public and democratic light.

<end geeky part of post>

Second half of post is about the deep connection between liberalism and war -- what, following Dennis Perrin, we might call the savage donkey critique.

Michael