[lbo-talk] Serves me right to bitch and moan

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Dec 30 14:28:57 PST 2011

that was my question, though. I'm not an academic, yet I can get pretty much any scholarly article or book I want, including copies of chapters from dissertations, simply by placing the order with interlibrary loan. Takes, tops, three days. I'm assuming SA's ILL system for public libraries just isn't as liberal as in the states? I've, astonishingly, never had to pay either - no matter which state I was in - not even backwater Florida. The librarians bent over backward to help find things. librarians rock. I agree with your colleauge from the spoons list, though, it should be easy to get your hands on scholarly materials. My experience in the states is that it is extremely easy - for social science and humanities stuff. And, even though they claim they charge, they never have, not in 20 years of using the system - even back in the day when they had to physically send copies of articles from journals.

At any rate, if I can help, I will!