[lbo-talk] Joanne Barkin: Poverty and US International School Rankings

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 07:58:01 PST 2011

[WS:} MD passed the Thornton law in 2002 that mandates state funding of schools in poor districts http://www.newrules.org/equity/rules/equity-school-finance/equity-school-finance-maryland <http://www.newrules.org/equity/rules/equity-school-finance/equity-school-finance-maryland>and it did not lead top any electoral defeats. In fact, Governor O'Malley won the second term chiefly because his opponent Ehrlich (a despicable piece of republican shit) was campaigning on cutting education spending.

Having said that - the current financial crisis will likely lead to cuts in state spending on education. The predominantly black PG county is already talking about education spending and job cuts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/01/AR2011020105384.html

Wojtek