[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:22:25 PST 2011

Somebody: "I think it's easy to dismiss the historical significance of the European Union. From a world historical standpoint, despite the problems of monetary union and continued albeit much attenuated national rivalries, it's already a success. A nationalism that expresses itself by sending far-right representatives to the European Parliament isn't much of a nationalism at all."

[WS:] This is an accurate assessment. I disagree with Marv that EU was mainly a top-down creation - the project received tremendous popular support from certain segments of the population - at least on the continent.

British insularity may me a different thing, though. The only ones who opposed it were nationalists. There is plenty of them, to be sure, but they are a minority.

Just to illustrate that - not long ago I was passing through a podunk in Poland and I noticed a newly erected monument to the EU. Anyone who knows Polish country side - infested with crosses and religious-nationalist symbols - would appreciate the significance of this popular gesture.

Wojtek